a typeface based on letter forms carved into a stone plaque located in the Bowery Mission meeting room on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, dated ca. 1895. In creating the digital typeface design the intention was to retain the eclectic qualities and features of the carved letter forms while transforming them into a cohesive typeface. In order to address the idiosyncrasies inherent in the letter forms alternates were created for some of the glyphs.
Included in the images are:
Rubbings and photographs of the inspiration, posters, spec sheets and design examples.